title

title
Photo by Don Kellogg

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Edge

Edge, a one woman show at the 45 Bleaker Theater, is possibly the best off-Broadway show that I have this year! Angelica Torn portrays Sylvia Plath, a brilliant writer and poet who led a brief and tragic life.

Two acts and over 2 hours on a small stage, we see the tragic life of Sylvia Plath unfold before us - as told by Sylvia from her own perspective. This story is about details. Each movement, word, and gesture had meaning and Angelica executed each with aplomb. I agree with the critics on one point - and that is that it bordered on melodrama upon occasion. I honestly could not tell if that was Sylvia herself or Angelica. I bet it's a little of both.

Check out this rare treat downtown. And don't forget to take in a bite to eat at one of my favorite places afterwards - The Noho Star!