title

title
Photo by Don Kellogg

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

All About Me

Looking back, this seemed like a pretty good match up on Broadway - the frivolity and acerbic hilarity of Australia's great Dame Edna Everage combined with the great American songster Michael Feinstein - a duo to be reckoned with, right?   Wrong.

This show combined the worst of both.  Not nearly enough of the American crooner and the the Dame had only fleeting moments of her signature comic repartee with the audience.  The plot (if you can call it that) is a bit ridiculous and contrived - both artists booked in the same theatre at the same time doing what each of them thinks is his/her own individual show.  The madcap antics that follow are best left to the keystone cops or Monty Python.   I should have known exactly how the entire evening was going to unfold when, as soon as we sat down and compared Playbills (yes, I love my Playbills!), I realized there were two versions - one for Michael's show and one for Dame Edna's show.  

Don't get me wrong - I love both of these veterans and was hoping for something grand - but instead got mediocrity at best.  I'd still buy tickets to each of them separately but for both of them i think it will be a long break before a return to the stage after this flop.